Triathlon Addiction

10/14/2013 tringel 0 Comments

Hopefully you are not getting tired of my triathlon posts because here comes another one (although it will be the last for the season. For those of you who do enjoy them, don't be too sad I will have plenty to share next season). On Sunday, September 22, I competed in my third triathlon this year (remind me never to sign up for a race every other weekend again please). Anyways, this was a very exciting race for me - it was the Bethany Beach Triathlon. This race was my very first triathlon, one year ago (as you can see I have inevitably become slightly addicted to the sport). I was excited to be at the beach, I was excited to race, and most importantly I was excited to see if my hard work this year had paid off. Swimming (somewhat) regularly has helped me to regain some of my speed in the water, and biking and running more often has increased my confidence and speed on land. I could feel a PR, my goal was to finish in under 2 hours (last year I finished in 2:18).


I left for the race late morning on Saturday to make packet pick up and race preparation a bit more relaxing. My parents came to be my fan club which made the trip even more relaxing, as I only had to drive a third of the way, not that it is a hard trip, but still, company is always nice. We got the beach, checked into the motel we have been staying since before I was born (sadly for the last time potentially - they are on the verge of selling), unloaded and refueled with a nice lunch. Afterwards, my dad went off to begin his photographing and my mom and I explored the shops until we ended up at the end of the strip where packet pickup was. I then waited in line checking things off the list - packet with race numbers, race shirt, race swag, tattoos on, shopping...o shopping. Race expos are a terrible place for a shop-a-holic in recovery. Oh man. Let's just say I gave into my impulse and purchased some awesome, but way too expensive, race sunglasses. They have two sets of lenses though, so really I got two for one?! Okay, maybe not, but I am still pretty excited because I have been on the look out for some new shades, and now everyone can stop commenting on my not-so-official "race" frog skin glasses I have been sporting.


Any-who, after the expo, I relaxed with the fam, ate some dinner, and did some final prep for race day. I went to bed ready to go, hoping the forecasted rain would hold out and the unexpected "obstacle" course would be cleared. I did not get the best nights sleep, the pouring rain and loud construction work did not help my anxiety each time I work up at 12, 2, 4...Finally it was 5:15 and I sleepy went through my morning routine. This is it. I ate a light breakfast, grabbed an energy bar for the wait time between setting up transition and my wave, and rolled my bike out of the room. I got to the transition area, and was pleased that the line was shorter then expected. I waited to get my timing chip and enter transition. It was much larger then last year, and I was right in the middle. I set up my transition area and talked to a few people around me. Everyone seemed excited and nervous, some more prepared then others. I helped some first timers, thinking, "I can't believe that was me a year ago, and now people are asking for my advice." I then walked to and from the bike in/out and run in/out to make sure I knew where my spot was.


Soon enough the transition area was closing. We listened to pre-race instructions and the national anthem and then began our .62 mile trek to the swim start. It was an ocean swim (point to point) and they decide the direction of the swim that morning based on the current so the only way to get to the start is to trudge along in the sand. A nice little warm up. I was grateful that the air was much warmer then last year, and I was in an earlier wave - it made waiting a little less treacherous.

Finally, it was my turn. I walked across a mat to activate my timing chip and waited for "GO!" I was off, running towards the water yet leaning away from the crashing waves. The water was freezing and my body burned (maybe I the warm air wasn't a happy surprise, the cooler the air the warmer the water will feel. Last year the air felt so cold I was relieved to get in the water). I pushed my way through, talking myself through the emotions running through my mind, and eventually my body adjust, I found my rhythm, and gained speed. Swimming is my strong point. Don't let anyone pass you. Pass all of the blue caps! Before I knew it the swim was over. I was heading toward shore, running up the sand, pulling off my cap - anything to save time. I made sure to run in between my transition this time, I could hear the announcer from the Nation's Tri saying, "The first relay swimmer has finished...[describing my appearance]...and she has already been passed!" as a man sprints by. And, although I wasn't the first of my wave out this time, I was determined not to let that happen again. But, in my determination, I ran right passed my bike and gear in the transition area (for the first time ever), something I had not anticipated. Luckily I did not get too far before I realized my mistake, and I quickly turned around and headed back. I threw my shoes, helmet and sunglasses on, grabbed my bike, noticed my transition time was beating the others around me and took off. First time biking with no shirt (eek), at least I was gaining time.


I biked as hard as I could. It was a flat course, but the wind was a killer. At least I got it over with on the first half. The second half was a breeze, as I was going with the wind, and I was ecstatic my speed was at least a 5mph faster average then last year. I even passed one of the bikers with the "cone/triangle" helmets. Does that mean should upgrade? Am I a real biker? I waved to my mom as I re-entered the transition area - so happy to have her cheering me on during my race located in our favorite place in the world. This time I made sure not to miss my spot in the transition area. I put my bike and bike gear back, switched shoes, grabbed my shirt, headband, and watch and began my running. Note: Putting a shirt and watch on while running is a a lot harder then it seems.


Unfortunately, my knee started hurting almost immediately, damn injuries, but I was determined to go on. I kept telling myself only a little more and then you can walk if you have to. I settled in and got a groove and didn't have to stop. I ran the entire 4.3 miles and was pretty happy with my pace. I even had a negative split between the first and second mile. Again, flat courses do wonders. I was almost at the finish line and I saw my dad snapping away with his camera. I gave him a big wave and thumbs up as I made my final turn. I was on the boardwalk. I could hear the crowd. Then, I could see the finish. "Give it all you got," I thought. And then I was done.


People cheering, people reaching for my timing chip, people handing me my water and medal, people directing me, you get the point. I found my mom who had been rooting for me at the finish line. We grabbed some food, got some ice for my knee which did not hesitate to tighten up, and looked at the results. I did it, I beat my goal. I finished in 1:53, and that put me first in my age division! So happy. We went to find my dad and then gathered for awards. I got to stand on the podium. I love the podium. I was so happy at my hard work and my success that came from it!



After the race we soaked in our final moments at the beach, and ate (I ate a lot, I got a milkshake and ice cream as my reward to myself for finishing). I showered, packed up all my stuff and gazed out the window as we drove away. I was sad to be leaving but happy with what I was leaving behind and what I had done. I couldn't have asked for a better race :).


You Might Also Like

0 comments: