The Pursuit Of Happiness - Entry #146

11/28/2013 tringel 0 Comments

November 28, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving of course, or should I say Thanksgivikah! We cooked all day and ate all night and it was delicious, like I can't even explain. I love seeing family and getting to hang out, talk, and catch up, so that was of course the best part of the day. And, lounging around beforehand and cooking with Brenden was a fun way to pass the time before my cousins and uncle arrived for dinner.
Found on lovethispic.com
We had an amazing meal of (the traditional) turkey, which my dad made for the first time in like 10 years. My cousin is a terrific chef so he usually takes on that task. But, to my great surprise the turkey was amazing. I even at more then my typical two small pieces - yum yum. Brenden and I made spaghetti squash latkes (see recipe below) to incorporate Hanukkah, and my cousins made a swiss chard veggie dish, cranberry sauce and stuffing. My uncle was in charge of his famous mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. OMG I am reliving dinner and it is just so good, my stomach hurts (I had about five servings too many).

After dinner we lit the menorah for day 2 of Hanukkah and then dove right into dessert. We had a pumpkin pie (of course) with homemade whipped cream (which I helped to whip, thanks MasterChef Junior [and my cousin] for showing me how) and a delicious tart, again made by my cousin, and some very sweet chocolate covered peanut butter balls that Brenden and I had made together earlier. Yummm, are you full yet? I still am! Have I said yum enough?

It was a great night that went more then well. I can't wait until next year, or at least the next family gathering. I already have my desert planned for that (with tips on making it from my cousin).

Spaghetti Squash Latkes
Recipe adapted from runningtothekitchen.com, Spicy Spaghetti Squash Latkes
(sorry there is no picture, they were gone before I could get a picture, just trust me that like everything else, they are, umm, delish!)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups spaghetti squash, baked
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 Tbsp flour
  • Parsly, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper to taste
  • Extra virgin olive oil (enough to fill sauté pan about a half inch deep for frying)
Directions

  1. Saute onions until tender, about five minutes.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine spaghetti squash, eggs, flour, seasoning, and cooked onion.
  3. Heat oil in a sauté pan.
  4. Once heated, form spaghetti squash mixture into small "pancake/patty" shape (similar to a mini hamburger). Make sure to squeeze out excess liquid while forming and squeezing.
  5. Put "pancakes" into hot oil cook on each side about five minutes or until golden brown. (Make sure the heat is not too high because you want it to cook all the way through rather then browning on the outside and staying cool on the inside).
  6. Repeat steps 4 -6 until all your spaghetti squash mixture has been formed and cooked.
  7. Let the cooked latkes cool on a paper bag or paper bowl to help sock up excess oil.
  8. Once cool, plate and enjoy (Tip: like potato latkes, applesauce is a great compliment to these).

You Might Also Like

0 comments: