Date Night Dinner - Homemade Remedy

4/04/2014 tringel 0 Comments

To say school is stressing me out this semester would be an understatement. My new best companions consist of: Advil for my never ending headache, under eye cream for the bags that get darker each day, and chocolate of any kind for the emotional eating break downs I tend to have (every night...). Luckily, I have an amazing boyfriend (or maybe he was just tired of getting snapped at, sorry Brendo). He decided to not only take on getting the ingredients for this week's meal, but he surprised me by choosing it, making it, cleaning it, and writing about it! This night was just what the doctor called for, a delicious bowl of comfort and a relaxing night before my Advil, eye cream, chocolate cycle reset. Hope you enjoy, I sure did.


This week, poor Tracy was entirely not in the mood for cooking especially with a night of classes right after work. I decided to take on the duty of cooking, because really, it's not any different from any other date night, haha. 


I was feeling a little homesick this week and opted to make a family favorite, sausage biscuits and gravy. It's a heavy, stick to your ribs kind of meal and it's super easy, well at least it would have been if the ingredients had measurements (my family doesn't like to write down stuff).

The conversation to get the recipe went like this (through text message):
            Me: hey mom can I get that sausage gravy recipe?
            Mom: sure, 1 bob Evans 1sage, 1 traditional and 1 whatever else. Milk and flour
That was it; that's all I had to go on.  Geez

So I'm calling this Mom's Famous Sausage and Biscuits, but I use that title loosely since I had to take a lot of my own liberation with ingredients. The second biggest hurdle was eating restrictions, I couldn't use the nice fatty pork sausage. I had to use spicy turkey and chicken sausage which tend to be on the lean side of things.


One may say that sounds great, it's healthier. While that's true, I needed more fat to make the gravy. To compensate I threw in a pound of 80 percent lean beef.  Overall I used 3 lbs of meat and about 3.5 cups of milk. Since I didn't use sage sausage I threw in a tablespoon of sage along with salt and pepper to taste.


In the end I probably could have used more flour to get it a touch thicker, but overall it tasted good. It doesn't need a whole lot of seasonings as it relies heavily on the meat choice to provide flavor. I can't say it tasted like home, but it at least tasted good.

Mom's Famous Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Recipe adapted from Brenden's Mom :)

Ingredients
  • 3.5 cups of milk
  • 3 lbs of sausage/beef
  • 2/3 cup of flour
  • 1 tbs of sage
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 packages Pillsbury biscuits
Directions

  1. First step was to brown the meat. To do this I removed the sausage from their casings and mixed them all up in a big ole' pan.
  2. After that I poured everything in a pot, grease and all, and added milk and flour.
  3. After that I reduced it down to give a lil thickness (you could use more flour, but I like to strengthen the flavor by reducing it instead of watering it down with flour).
  4. While the gravy is reducing, I put some of those awesome flaky biscuits in a can into the oven and baked them according to their directions.
  5. After the gravy was sufficiently thick I added some sage, salt and pepper.
  6. All that was left was to pour the gravy on the biscuits and enjoy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: