Date Night Dinners - I'm A Cooker

6/12/2015 tringel 0 Comments

"I want to be a cooker!" I repeatedly told my parents this growing up. "I want to be a cooker; I want to be a cooker." Now one might think a child of age 3 or 4 or 5 who stays true to their word of wanting to become a cooker would follow the career path of a chef. After all, a cooker is to a young child as a chef is to an adult. I could grow up working in restaurants, taking culinary classes and going to a culinary university, apprenticing with great chefs and of course landing myself as a chef, fulfilling my dream and childhood statements, on food network next to Gordon Ramsay and Rachael Ray.


For me, my goals stayed right at cooker, no matter how old I got. But I think I have trained myself quite well as a cooker. I have become a cooker of velveeta mac and cheese; a cooker of holiday dishes at family events, and most importantly, a cooker of this blogs infamous date night dinners. I have my trusty sous cooker Brenden at my side when this night comes around each week, and I think we have done a pretty excellent job thus far.

Recently though, my sous cooker wanted to prove he was more then that, he is really my co-cooker. And after date night this week, I would have to agree. In fact, at one point, Brenden banned me from the kitchen and I had to force myself back in. Not only did he cook the meal himself, he planned what the dinner would be - ingredients, recipe and everything in between.



I must admit I was a bit nervous when it came to tasting this dish. Not because of Brenden's skills, but because I have never really tried swordfish. While I am a lover of sushi and seafood, I am not a lover of unknown foods. But all that worry was for not. The swordfish was buttery and lemony and meaty, and the potatoes were buttery and dill-coated and the perfect accompaniment to the fish. The meal was light but filling; the fish and potatoes were seasoned but not overwhelmed. It was an excellent night and we now have an apartment bustling with two top-notch co-cookers.

BAKED SWORDFISH AND DILL POTATOES

INGREDIENTS
Swordfish
  • 2 swordfish steaks
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Potatoes
  • 1 lb fingerling potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
  • 1.5 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
DIRECTIONS
Prepare the swordfish for baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small bowl, combine the butter, lime juice, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Rub the butter mixture completely over the the swordfish steaks. Place the steaks on bakeware - we used a cast iron skillet, but a baking tray or dish would suffice. Place the bakeware with seasoned swordfish steaks in the preheated oven and cook for 22-25 minutes, until cooked through but not dried out.
Cook the potatoes. While the swordfish is baking, bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling and the potatoes and cook until fork tender but not falling apart, about 13-17 minutes. Drain the the cooked potatoes and place into a large bowl. Drizzle in the remaining potato ingredients and mix until all the potatoes are coated well. Set aside
Enjoy the meal. Once the swordfish is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Plate the baked swordfish with the dill potatoes and enjoy.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: