Here Begins The Adventure

6/18/2013 tringel 0 Comments

As I stated my next few post (probably 10 since it was a 10 day trip) will be dedicated to the amazing experiences I had while traveling in Israel. I will try to be as accurate as possible, but it may have been easier to do this each day. However due to my extreme exhaustion and lack of internet throughout the trip, I do not think anything good or sensical would have come from me trying to write then. So, I will do my best to recap now both for my memories later on in life, and your curiosity now.
Birthright taken with LED lights. (Photo taken by Thomas Weinstein)

The official journey began on June 2, when I drove to New Jersey to stay with my cousin Geri. She then drove me to JFK airport on Monday, June 3 to meet the group I would be traveling with - 40 complete strangers. All Jews. But even before that, I had to be accepted to the trip. I applied for Birthright, specifically, Sachlav Israel on the House (a free 10 day trip organizer for individuals who consider themselves Jewish) over two years ago. I did not get accepted which meant my name got bumped to the top of the list if I applied a second time. So I applied. And I got in. But I did not accept the offer. I was too afraid. Afraid of safety, afraid of not knowing anyone, just afraid. So a year passed and I applied again. And I was accepted again. And I told myself I would not back out. There is an age limit on the trip, once you pass 26, you are no longer eligible, and I knew if I chickened out again I would continue to until I was passed the eligible age. I accepted the trip in February I believe and from there, there was no turning back, but it was months away - or so I thought. 

To soon it was only weeks away and then days and then I was at the airport, heart pounding not only in my chest but into my throat as I stood there, in a mass of people hoping someone would approach me. And luckily some one did. Alyssa was the first to interact, she was traveling alone as well. And to our happy surprise we liked each other right away. We went through airport security together and learned about each others lives. Other people on our trip actually thought we knew each other before hand. So some of my anxiety began to disappear. We did a brief introduction with all 40 of us, in the airport which wasn't the best idea because it was so loud that no one could hear anything. We then boarded our flight and 10ish hours later we were in Israel.

The airport in Israel
Even though there is a 7 hour time difference, (making it almost 8 pm at home but only 1pm in Israel) we acted as if we were already on Israeli time and started the day. We went to an overlook that I believe was called Ben Shemen where we could view all of Jerusalem.

Jerusalem, east and west. Jerusalem is the only place in Israel
that all faiths can live as citizens.

The gold dome is one of the muslims holiest places. The western wall
divides the Jewish quarter and Muslim Quarter.

The tall pencil like building is one of the Christians holiest places.

We then went to Devon's home (the CEO of Sachlav) who prepared a dinner of chicken, schnitzel, hummus, salad, etc. All the food was delicious. He lives in a settlement, which is a Jewish community in a Muslim area of Jerusalem (We learned that you tell a Jewish house from an Muslim one based on the color of the water basin on top of the home. Jews have white and Muslims Black). In his settlement all types of Jewish people unite from religious to not religious at all. Devon explained to us the meaning and mission of Sachlav as well as recited a story from the torah. We then concluded the night by traveling to our hotel to find terrible wifi and comfy beds to finally sleep.

The view from Devon's backyard. The landscape in the distance is Jordan.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: