The Pursuit Of Happiness - Entry #91

10/04/2013 tringel 0 Comments

October 4, 2013
Today was long but great! It started out early in the morning for our drive to upstate NY. I have a race this weekend in Corning, so Brenden and I decided to make a long weekend of it in order to relax during pre race details like packet pickup, and to be able to visit and spend time with Brenden's family. We got to Corning a little ahead of time and decided to hit up the Corning Museum of Glass. I went to school on the Finger Lakes for four years, and never had the time to get down to the Museum - one of the many things I wanted to check off my to-do-while-in-NY list. So, it was perfect; plus when we bought our tickets were told we got an amazing discount in price for participating in the Wineglass Half Marathon. Below are some photos from a few of our favorite pieces.

Brenden and I were super excited about our fashionable CMOG admittance badges, and to start our gallery viewing. The next image were two of my favorite, favorite glass designs. I just loveloveloveeeee the egg in the cage. I don't know why it captures my attention so much, but I I just think it is eggcellent (get it?...get it?). Maybe it is the message behind the egg being trapped in the cage and symbolism - the bird is trapped before it is even born. And the elephant? Well, I just love elephants. Need I say more? The necklace of course is my new glass bead necklace that Brenden bought me...not! I wish! It was amazing and huge - taller then me, a bead was probably the size of my head, okay maybe not that big, but close for sure! Needless to say, not something Brenden could afford at this point in time, and honestly, I don't know what outfit I would pair it with. However, Brenden did decide to be extra sweet and surprise me by buying a lovely glass sunflower. Sunflowers are my favorite, and this one will never die :).

We saw some very interesting glass techniques and colors. The bowls were made with many different colored "strings" of glass fused together. We saw a giant, old time, floor chandelier. And, I love this chess set. It is made entirely of glass, obviously, and the pieces are the Jews versus the Roman Catholics rather then the traditional black and white undefined pieces. Again, an extremely creative, well executed idea that has so much symbolism behind the design.


Ummm, can I have this cake display please?!? It was titled something like Russian Wedding Cake, referencing the Russian dolls. So awesome. Who doesn't love playing with Russian dolls?! And then turn that into dessert, you just can't go wrong. Yep, I will take one at my wedding please! Speaking of food we saw some giant fruit. Thats what I'm talking about. That apple would last me a week. And, a pretty layout of giant flower petals. So elegant.

I know, I love everything, but really this stuff is just amazing, and of course I love the hanging colors. It is blissful and elegant. It reminds me of birds flying smoothly and in unison. I think my house is set with its new art. Now just to get it all shipped...

At the end of the displays, we were able to listen to some cool cone phones and learn a bit about how the glass making process works. Also, as we were browsing I noticed this fun pattern. I adore this. And I know, it wasn't glass, but it was probably one of my top three favorite things I saw in the museum today. It was just the wallpaper to a video display but I was addicted to looking at the design and pattern. Fantastic.

After the museum we went and got all my race stuff: bib, tech tee, wine glass, and champagne split. Yay, all set :). Maybe I will drink the champagne before I run to numb the next 13 miles of pain, ha, just kidding...

We then met one of my old professors for a lovely lunch of food, lake scenery, and of course conversation. And finally we made it to Brenden's family where we were able to catch up, relax, and enjoy a delicious meal. Yep it was a great day, packed, but packed with greatness!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: