Date Night Dinners - With A Budget Splurge

8/08/2014 tringel 0 Comments

This week, we did not have a typical date night dinner. There is only one more month left of summer. To me that means I need to spend as much time as possible stuffing my face with watermelons and strawberries, going on long bike rides, laying by the pool, and enjoying the nice weather. To Brenden that means there is only one more month until he can step outside without instantly turning into a puddle do to the humidity, he won't have to shower three times a day to cool off and refresh himself, and he can begin to dominate his now 'buy-in' fantasy football league. And with fantasy football comes actual football. Brenden is a pretty big football fan; I am not. Lucky for me, Brenden's favorite team, the 49ers, lives on the west coast, which means limited TV air time here on the east. But this was Brenden's lucky week.


On Tuesday evening, two nights before the 1st Raven's game of the season, and before our weekly date night dinner, I happened to hear a conversation about the Raven's opening preseason game. As I stated, I don't care much for football, and thus the conversation was not of interest, until I heard the next phrase, "against the 49ners." My ears perked up, and I knew I had to get tickets for Thursday nights game, our dinner would have to be postponed. So I investigated tickets on the internet and ended up getting a really good deal, for seats right over the 50 yard line.


Next was keeping the surprise a surprise. We went on as usual. We picked out some delicious sounding recipes for our typical Thursday night and we made our decision (so make sure to check back next week for a great summer BBQ veggie bowl). But when it came time to get the ingredients, I told Brenden I had something else in store for the night. We made the trip to Baltimore, and as soon as he saw the stadium he knew. He was so excited, and totally prepared to splurge of junky stadium food for the night. Luckily, we had a long walk from the car to the stadium and back, and about 1,000 stairs to climb to our seats, so we could burn off some of the calories. By the time we got to our seats after searching the vendors for a 49ers jersey with no luck, people watching the mass of fans, and grabbing some beer, the game was about to start and Brenden wasn't going anywhere. But my stomach was growling, and thus the food was left to me. Although I heard a tiny voice telling me to be good, my desire for something totally indulgent won over. I grabbed us some cheesesteaks and a giant, bottomless popcorn. It smelled delicious, and it was gone before I realized we hadn't taken a picture of it for this post.


It was delicious, it was expensive, and it was definitely not home-made, but it was our date night dinner with a budget splurge. After all, everyone has to splurge once in a while, and to splurge on a game with a team (a favorite team) Brenden never thought he would see live was totally worth it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: