Food Design

9/11/2012 tringel 2 Comments

As I sit at my desk, thinking about a layout for an ingredient for my upcoming assignment, my mind starts to wonder. Out of the corner of my eye I notice my 12-month calendar hanging on my wall. Although I like to think this calendar helps me to stay organized, it typically sits untouched on my wall expect for that one day, usually a week past the changing of the month, when I flip the page. A new month; a new picture. I take it in for a few minutes and then go on with my day.

The picture I see is a "Cowboy Valley" as the artist has entitled it. I see cacti, a prairie wagon stopped for the night as the sun seems to be setting. A few men, surely on the journey together, sitting around the smoke from a beginning campfire. There are a few small canyons which explain the rocky path that the wagon will be traveling through. Quite a scene. But I look again. This time I see zucchini, rib eye beef, avocado, pepperoni, kidney and pinto beans, cucumbers, peanuts, and so much more.The entire scene has been designed out of different food ingredients, just as the previous eight scenes have been and the next three scenes will be.

This got me to thinking about how many ways you can design food. What the words food design encompasses. Way more then the page layout for an article with graphics about food that my mind, as a graphic designer goes to immediately. How would a chef interpret those words? Or an artist like Carl Warner, the creator of my calendar, or a photographer?Here are a few examples of different forms of what i consider to be classified as "food design." What types of design would you consider some of these? What professional do you think created the,. i put my guess at the end of each description.

1. Chief Ranbow Tree by Pete Rocha made from jelly beans, Collage?

2. Latte Art by Jordana Z, made from the coffee and foam with a spoon, Painter?


3. Giuseppe Arcimboldo - one of the first to use food as art, "Summer", Mosaic?

4. Made from an apple, Sculptor?

5. Made from a pumpkin, Ray Villafan, Carver?

6. John Valentino, Chef? Photographer?

7. Everyday Food Magazine, Page layout, Graohic designer?

8. Carl Warner, made form various fruits, veggies, and unknown foods, landscaper?, architect?


9. An info-gram by wine.com, more on the graphic design spectrum, graphic designer?


You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. Carl Warner is one of my favorite photographers of all time! He's so creative and the patience he must have to manipulate food the way he does, is amazing! Food design is certainly an interesting area.

    ReplyDelete