Visual and Verbal Definition

9/20/2012 tringel 0 Comments

I have been searching for the perfect example of  visual definition to post for show & tell #2. While this might not be the perfect post, I think it is pretty great. An infographic about tongues. Who would have thought? Not I. But I was drawn to it and think it gives a lot of neat information without being creepy/gross or too cheesy.

I think that this portrays both visual and verbal definition. The infographic uses images to help define what is being explained. In some places, while it is helpful to have the accompanying text, it is not necessary because the image gets the message across. On the other hand there is verbal definition as well. The text explains more then some of the images do and enhance the amount and quality of information the viewer is receiving. Some of the information would not be received if the text, or the verbal definition, had not been placed there.

I found this on a site titled 40 inforgraphics. There were many other inforgraphics that used similar techniques. A few others I found interesting:

1. The Most Hazardous Jobs In America
2. How Do I win Rock, Paper, Scissors?
3. Can I Afford An iPad?
4. Animals VS Humans

Image found on Nature's Cure behance
 site. Similar graphics can be viewed
there: Nature's Cure


Another example, that I think is very powerful and probably stronger at portraying visual and verbal definition then the above is this spread. Except for the VERY small text in the white box on the bottom, the word blueberries is no where to be found. Yet you know that this spread is completely focusing on blueberries, based on the crisp, full image. Therefor the visual of blueberries is defining the topic. The words overlying the image then add verbal definition by verbally stating traits and facts about the image/topic that we as viewers would not have known simply from looking at the photograph. I think this is well done. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: