The Pursuit Of Happiness: Week In Review

7/09/2016 tringel 0 Comments

Saturday (320)
Paddleboarding in Georgetown! Have I told how much I enjoy paddleboarding? Yea, I'm pretty sure I have, once or twice. There is just something about it. It is entertaining, calming, adventurous. Everything about it makes me happy. When it is a sunny, calm day, I love feeling at peace. I enjoy gliding easily across the water and dipping my feet in the water to relax and soak up the warmth as I take in the scenery. On rougher days, I love the challenge of staying balanced on the board and the accomplishment of making it to my destination. It is always a new experience.

Lauren and I were planning on going to the beach it, but because of a lot of little things we decided to skip it. Instead we went paddleboarding! And in a new location for me, Georgetown. Which I quickly fell in love with. Jeff and I were going to paddleboard later in the weekend but because of weather forecasts and a cancelled beach trip we decided to go on Saturday. Lauren has always wanted to try it and since she had no plans (because we were supposed to be beaching together all day) I invited her along. It was a hard day to learn as it was super windy, but she did awesome. I was happy to hear her say she would do it again.

We dd our SUP on the Potomac river. It was super windy, so we spent about an hour+ having the wind turn us in circles as we tried to paddle up stream (the only way we were advised to go). And then we had a quick 5 minute trip back to the dock when we decided to head in. The location was great. There were anchored boats blasting music which I thoroughly enjoyed. There was pretty wildlife. And there were little islands and sand(mud)bars we could rest on. It was a great start to my Fourth of July weekend.

Plus, an added bonus, I got an incredible deal on a season pass with lots of perks, so now I can paddleboarding the rest of the season without having to worry about money. Everyone let's go! And we don't just have to paddleboard. They have kayaks, which I will do with Brenden, canoes, and even hydrobikes(!) which I have only been wanting to try for like a year.






Sunday (321)
Happy Birthday Brenden, hope you had a good one! I spent my morning running and running errands before my birthday celebration for Brenden. I was pumped to get my 7 mile run in, and then had a nice workout at the gym. After I got the final ingredients for Brenden's surprise birthday meal and got to cooking. Brenden came home to my first try at a video recipe -- a 7 layer steak sandwich -- and homemade vanilla bean ice cream with store bought toppings of all kinds for diy ice cream sundaes. Plus I got the ingredients for a Blue Hawaiian, per Brenden's request. (We have alcohol to last us a lifetime now, you know since we rarely drink anymore. College days come back to me...but only for a short time.) I think it was a hit if I say so myself. Later, since the scotch bar is closed on Sundays, Jeff and Katrina came over to hang out and drink scotch (and Blue Hawaiians) around our coffee table. What a relaxing but celebratory night.



Monday (322)
Happy fourth of July; happy 63rd birthday, Reg, and happy 63x100's for your birthday. I tend to love a good swimming challenge, and just about every year on his birthday, Reg presents one. The age he is turning is the number of 100s we do on 1:45. This year was 63, and surprisingly, the last 20 were my best ones. It was an early morning but a great morning. The rain held off and we got them done. And I didn't feel so bad lounging the rest of the July 4th holiday. What did you do on Independence Day? Or maybe it was your birthday too?




With the rain there wasn't too many outdoorsy things to do, and Brenden was working most of the day. We debated sitting in our car to try and see fireworks but concluded we would just wait until next year, we weren't sure if they would happen with the rain. I think this is my first year without fireworks in my life. But at least we could hear them going off. The song is half go the experience so it's kind of like we saw them? Did you see any fireworks? Where is your go to place for a good display? Mine is DC. Instead we spent the evening in, relaxing with each other and making fun things to eat (read: newest obsession of homemade avocado toast two ways -- avocado toast with egg and peanut avocado toast. omg.)

Tuesday (323)
Meatless Tuesdays on my elephant plate. Brenden and I tag teamed dinner and it was great. We had some veggies that we needed to use up before they went bad, and we each decided to make something with our choice veggie. Brenden made buffalo cauliflower bites and I made zoodles with a quick alfredo sauce. They both tasted delish individually, and surprisingly, fantastic together. The spiciness from the buffalo sauce on the cauliflower matched perfectly with the creaminess of the alfredo. It was like eating chicken wings with ranch/blue cheese and celery, but sub chicken for cauliflower, ranch for alfredo, and celery for noodles. There you have it. You know you want to try it. What are your favorite cauliflower and zoodle recipes?


Wednesday (324)
I'm a cooking machine. Can we say that? I mean I cooked two nights in a row this week, and I made two dishes two of those nights, so really that is pretty much equivalent to five nights this week, pretty much the entire week. Yep cooking machine. Tonight was Asian inspired with my favorite ramen recipe and thai basil turkey stir fry. Oh man my tummy was so happy. And the aroma as I was cooking made my nose quite happy as well.



Thursday (325)
Quality time with my love after work. I love traveling. I hate packing. Who actually likes packing? Unpacking I can do all day, packing though, not so much. I am going to NYC this weekend and it was time to pack. I laid out some clothes and then promptly head to the couch to binge on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (I had a sudden urge to visit one of my childhood favorites on Netflix a couple days ago. I am already 3/4 done season two. I have problems). Then I ate dinner and binged some more. It was getting late and I was getting tired and I knew my laid out clothing weren't going to jump into my bag on there own. Lucky for me, I had Brenden to hang out with and help me go through my list of what I needed to pack. With him it was easy as "1-2-3." And I was done way faster then I would have been on my own. He kept me on track and (mostly) panic free. The best part was we had time for another episode of Buffy before I went to bed!

Friday (326)
Made it to NYC for a long weekend.

How was your week? What were some of your daily highlights? How did you celebrate the Holiday? Were you rained in or able to make the most of good weather?

You Might Also Like

0 comments: