The Pursuit Of Happiness: Week In Review

12/24/2016 tringel 0 Comments

Saturday
Maryland's first official snow day (read: ice day) has come. My car was dropped off to get worked on last night, and because of layer of ice coating everything, I didn't want to ask anyone to go out of their way to help me get it when it was ready today. Therefore I was part voluntarily, part involuntarily trapped inside for a true snow day. All was well as I watched listened to the snow and ice fall. I spent the some of the day cleaning the house, but mostly wrapping presents and making envelopes for the holidays cards Brenden and I are planning to send out.


Sunday
In true Maryland fashion, after below average temperatures and freezing rain, we get a day in the 60's. With only a light jacket on, I set out to do all the shopping and errands I wanted to get done over the weekend. I got groceries to be able to make some recipes I want to try, and then I went mall shopping with my mom to pick up final presents for others (and myself). When I got home it was back to envelope making and cooking experiments. My first recipe of the week was muffins with an egg baked into them. Oh my goodness, the title describes my food obsessions to a "T." And it turned out better then I could have imagined. With a hard boiled egg in the middle (must remember to cook it less next time as I was aiming for medium), and scallions and breakfast sausage in the muffin dough, the flavors made my taste buds soar and my lips smile. Plus it was a fairly simple recipe. Mental note: make these everyday. What are your favorite flavor combinations?


Monday
The holidays are here...almost. With all of the cooking and festivities I have in store this week it sure feels like they are already here. I spent the evening prepping food and cooking latkes for BHC's second annual Latke Brawl. Last year I went with a non-traditional recipe, but this year I'm sticking with the basic to try and squeeze out a win. Of course my recipe choice was easy this year thanks to my Molly on the Range cookbook. So far all of her recipes have been bomb, so I knew I had to give her latkes a try for the brawl. They turned out so, so good. They were a bit thicker then I am used to but were perfectly crispy, chewy on the outside and tender on the inside. The flavor was perfectly potatoey with hints of lemon, onions and salty goodness. And, they soaked up just the right amount of oil for my liking. Do you have a go to latke recipe?

On the healthier side, Brenden and I also experimented with roasting cauliflower. The idea was pretty ingenious if you ask me. It was super simple to make and the result was tender cauliflower head emitting soft flavors with each bite. It was peppery and lemony and garlic in all the best ways. I am suer excited to put it over my homemade hummus with some dried cranberries and pita.

Tuesday
We brawled with latkes and partied with bowling balls today. BHC's annual Chanukah festivities have commenced. Though I did not win (tough competition this year) I am proud to say we had an even more successful Latke Brawl then last year. It was so much fun to taste everyone's latke recipes and watch everyone else's reaction as they tasted each. Each latke was really good in it's own way, and I had a very difficult time casting my vote.  In the end, Celina won again, unbelievable, she is the one to beat it seams. What is your favorite kind of latke? Or do you like a different Chanukah food better? Our staff bowling party followed in the afternoon. We bowled duckpin style and photo-boothed Chanukah style. We ate more food, announced the Latke Brawl winner and enjoyed each others company. Quite a success if I say so myself, and a great start to the holiday celebrations.







Wednesday
My night was filled with christmas and trivia and christmas trivia. First there was tree decorating. Brenden and I received our yearly ornament in the mail which meant the decorating of our mini christmas tree could commence. Last year Brenden and I decided that each year we would buy one new ornament together to add to our collection. This year we got a disney themed one to remember our first trip to disney together. Of course I made us put this one on the tree together as the first decoration. Then it got crazy. Not really, but we just have too many things I want to put on the tree for our baby table top one. Do they have medium sized trees? In between table top and a full blown one? That's what we need? Have you decorated your tree yet? What is your favorite way/item to decorate with?


After decorating we headed to Homeslyce for trivia night! Lauren, Brenden, and I were super excited to find out that they now have trivia close to us and start our own team. We finally picked the team name of Answers Anonymous. A few of Brenden's work friends joined, and Marie stopped by to say "Hi." I loved it and we will be making an appearance every Wednesday. Our team actually did pretty well, too. Before the final, wager question we were ranked 5th, well above the top half. I won't do into details about after the wager. We still didn't do too shabby, but we definitely got knocked down a couple of pegs. How is your trivia knowledge? Want to join our team?


Thursday
Tonight I lightened up a bit on the holiday overload, and focused on spending time with Brenden. Brenden joined me at the gym, and after we made dinner together, listened to music, and watched Pete's Dragon. I did sneak in a little holiday when I made Brenden help me stuff our holiday cards into the envelopes I finished making. Now I just have to address them. It was a level night.

Friday
Hot Chocolate Bar!! Omg I was ecstatic. Brad (with a little input from me) put together a hot cocoa bar at work this morning. It was amazing. My life was made. I really have no words/complete sentences to say about this, obviously. Just happy. A hot chocolate bar is something I have always wanted to do/partake in, and this one hit the spot. I got to make my hot chocolate so pretty, and mix-and-match all of my flavors. My tummy is now hurting just a little bit from the sugar overload, but it was so, so worth it. #canwedothiseveryday







How was your week? What were some of your daily highlights? The holidays are upon us, are you ready? Did you partake in any holiday festivities this week?

You Might Also Like

0 comments: