Storytime

10/29/2012 tringel 3 Comments

"The book is always better then the movie." I have heard this time after time, and I do agree on most occasions. Why then do I continue to go to the movie version? Perhaps it is because I get the overview of the story in a short amount of time? However, I am always disappointed when I watch the these movies. The detailed descriptions and images I create while reading a story are no longer present when the book becomes a movie. The iconic figures of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grant, and Emma Watson are the only faces I see when I now go to read Harry Potter. This makes me so sad, because my version of the characters and scenes have been completely wiped away. Each time I watch a movie, my version gets more and more faint. But, as stated, it is so much easier to pop in a DVD or tune into the television airing and get the entire (altered) version in two hours then wait two weeks to finish a story, especially when there is so much else going on in life - work, school, homework, exercise...the list goes on and on. It makes me sad that it has come down to this, and now when kids say they love Harry Potter or some other book turned to movie they are usually implying the movie version, as they have never even picked up the book, if they even know it was one.

Here are a few of my favorite books that have turned into movies:

Harry Potter 1-7

Hunger Games 1-3

My Sister's Keeper
Sarah's Key

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

  1. I agree, when books are turned into movies it's usually a disappointment. I find the actors cast for certain roles to be the most disappointing because when I read the book, I have a picture in my head of what the character looks like and then they cast someone that looks completely different in the movie. This is why I try to just read the book and not watch the movie, it gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very right. Movies lose something in the telling. I think I like being able to create the person I want in my head. Hunger Games was the biggest disappointment of them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it made me so disappointed. However, I am sure I will end up lining at the theater to watch the next two.

      Delete